Sometimes it’s just fun to change your hair and a way to do this without using chemicals is with lemon juice! The citric acid in the lemon juice reacts with the sun to bleach your hair in a less harmful way. This can be a fun thing to do at home, or before heading out to the beach or pool or anywhere sunny. Plus you get to smell like lemons. J
- Mix about ½ cup water and ½ fresh lemon juice for normal hair. Mix ½ cup conditioner and ½ cup fresh lemon juice for dry hair. This half and half mixture can be adjusted to fit the amount you need.
- If you are going to apply all over your hair, put mixture into a spray bottle. If you want to highlight it, put into a small bowl.
- Spray all over hair for a dyed look. Spray on ends, for an “ombre” or natural summery look. Dip a cotton ball or tissue into mixture and apply to specific strands from root to tip for highlights. Really just put it where ever you want it. I tend to highlight it then run my hands over it to rub the excess into my ends. Note that if you follow your natural highlights, such as around the temples, and take smaller pieces the highlights look more natural.
- Put on some sunscreen and sunglasses and head outside.
- Let hair sit in the sun for roughly an hour to take effect.
- When your time is up, head home and wash the lemon out. I recommend using a strong conditioner or even a leave in conditioner after this as lemon juice and sun can be very drying to the hair.
- Once your hair is dry you should see the lightening. However, if you have dark hair it might take a few goes to get the effect you want.
I hope this explains the process well enough! Enjoy the sunshine!